Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It's A Rhetorical Answer

Here's a couple of my favorite quotes from the kids this week:

#1: We were riding in the car when my daughter made a statement about something we saw. As I often do, I asked her why she thought that. Her reply was "Mom, that was a rhetorical statement."

"What's a rhetorical statement?" I asked

"Wellll, a rhetorical question is a question that does not require an answer, right?"

"Yes."

"Sooooooo, a rhetorical statement is a statement that you don't need to question!"

Oh. Okay.

#2: It's been a rough couple of weeks on the kids since our beloved dog died, and we had a small memorial service for him this weekend with our friends. My son was seeming quiet and contemplative this evening and I asked him what was wrong. He said he was still thinking about our dog. He put it this way: "When an asteroid hits the surface of the moon, it's not the end of the moon. But it still makes a very big dent." I thought that was a great metaphor, since I've been feeling kind of dented this week as well.

No comments: