Friday, August 17, 2007

They're Here!

Late Monday night, our pregnant cat Patches was starting to wander around restlessly. She crawled way back into our closet, and I was pretty sure she was going into labor. I tried to stay awake, but probably drifted off around midnight. At four in the morning, I woke up to the sound of mewing, very close by. She was having her kittens on our bed!! There were three kittens already born, two alive and one that looked like it had been stillborn. I quickly woke up the kids and my husband and we all got to watch as the last two kittens were born. Talk about your homeschooling biology lesson!
















Patches has shown herself to be a conscientious mother cat, cleaning up all of her kittens (though not unfortunately my down comforter, which is off to the drycleaners!) and getting them settled in and nursing. We ended up with two orange tabbies, one that looks like it will be a calico, and one light grey with a dark grey mask over its eyes. They are endlessly fascinating to watch, and "kitten TV" is the pastime of the day.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

They are so cute! The last picture of the newborn kitten nursing with its eyes closed is precious.

Anonymous said...

This is the cutest thing I've seen all day. Yes, my precious boys are cute, but not that cute! Congratulations to Mama cat and her family.

Lides said...

Dang, that's sweet! I miss having cats (can't due to my little one's health) ...

gardening gal said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog for awhile! I just had to comment how incredible the photos are. My kids are all wishing our cat was a female! Thanks for sharing