Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ticket to Egypt

When I was a kid, the King Tut exhibit was all the rage. Steve Martin had a hit single about the boy king, women wore shirts with Tuts over each tit, and the lines for the traveling exhibit went around the block. I was lucky enough that my folks to us to see it in San Francisco. I remember the lines, the anticipation and the awe of standing next to an item that once graced the tomb of a Pharoah, thousands of years ago.

Now the Portland Art Museum has the largest exhibit of Egyptian artifacts ever to leave the country. The tickets are selling out quickly, and I'm hoping to get some for next weekend. I'll be hitting the library tomorrow to get some books on Egypt. We've read plenty over the years, but none in the last few months. I can't wait to see the same look of excitement on the kids' faces that I remember feeling all those years ago. If all goes well, we'll meet my sister there and not only get to see all of these amazing exhibits but also get to celebrate her birthday. Fun!

No comments: