Sunday, January 14, 2007

There's No Place Like Home

Once upon a time, I had a lovely little house on a cul-de-sac. It had flowers out front, and I lived there peacefully. I could decorate my home in any kind of way I wanted, and change the decor as often as I liked. The bottom floor of my house was a garden room, with plants, indoor tiki torches, and a hammock to sleep in. The upstairs was a more oriental theme with dark wooden screens and plush carpets. The basement, well that was a bit of a mess, but we won't talk about that.

Then something terrible happened. I lost my home. I was destitute and depressed. I had to move in with my son, in a tiny place with hardly any room for me. I could no longer decorate as I pleased, and I was dependent on him for charity. I didn't think this kind of thing would happen until I was in my 80's, maybe 90's, but here I am at 40 asking for a mere bed to sleep in.

What's that? Oh, this isn't my real home. It was on Animal Crossing, a Gamecube game that I used to play with my kids a lot. Then the new Animal Crossing for the DS came out, and don't get me wrong, it's got some really great features. But one thing stands in the way of perfection: you have to share one house. And since the DS belongs to my son, that means we all have to live in his house. Yes, a house outfitted by a 10 year old boy. Let's just say that we don't exactly share the same tastes in home decor. Some days it's full of UFOs, and on others there are strange bobbing dolls around. It's very disconcerting.

But, all that could change. I could, in fact, not only have my own home on Animal Crossing once more, it could exist on a lovely pink DS, courtesy of Crazy Hip Blog Mama's contest.. And I can tell you that nothing would make me more hip than having my own DS so that I wouldn't have to live in charity with my son. At least until I'm 90 or so.

No comments: