Thursday, October 04, 2007

What I've Got To Say About Unschooling

Well, I have a lot to say about unschooling. About how it works, what it's like on a day-to-day basis, how it lets me connect with my kids in amazing ways, expands my own universe, sometimes blows my mind. I think of these great posts I could be writing about it, but these days we're just too caught up in the day to day living of unschooling for me to have much time left over to type anything up.

For the next two months especially, I won't have all that much time to be writing about it. You see, the kids asked me to coach their Lego Robotics team this year. You know, I have to say it feels pretty damned good to hear your (11 year old) kid excitedly telling his friends on the phone "Yeah, and my mom's going to coach the team, isn't that cool?". Wow, that just makes my day. But it's a big thing to bite off - I essentially have eight weeks or about 16 practices to help 7 kids ranging from 8 - 14 years old to come together to create a robot, program it to perform 10 complex tasks in under 3 minutes, create a research project, document it, present it to the community, and get ready to enter the robotics competition. So far, the team has been great. I absolutely love this age of kids - one minute they are all seriousness, and so focused on creating their robot, debating the merits of this or that kind of attachment or part. The next minute, they're playing on the trampoline in some sort of incredibly imaginative game. They're so full of energy and creativity. I'm really lucky to get to be a part of it all.

No comments: